Sunday, May 31, 2009

Education Week - Book Fair at School

Thank you to Jeff Doherty at Stories and Pictures who not only donated a copy of my book Polar Boy to his local school library but got me thinking about how underfunded many of our public school libraries are. And how donating a book to the library is one thing parents can do to not only help increase the range of books available but reinforce the value of books in the eyes of their own children. I know from personal parental experience, kids love to be the first one to borrow their specially donated book.

I also liked how in Jeff's case, the local bookstore and the school banded together - supporting each other. At my local public school, Waniora Public, there isn't a bookstore nearby. However, we had a Scholastic Book Fair during Education Week. The kids were very excited about buying a book - some because they are keen readers and others because the Book Fair is 'an event'. My son bought a Zac Power book. He has three now - and doesn't read any of them. For the moment they are a sort-of fashion accessory while he reads other titles. But I'm all for books being carried around for any reason as I am sure ultimately familiarity leads to reading.

Our donation book this year was Dragon Dawn by Carole Wilkinson. A personal favourite of mine and one my son is looking forward to reading with me.

Courtesy of the Reading Stack, here is my recent review of Dragon Dawn

Dragon Dawn by Carole Wilkinson black dog books Paperback Junior fiction $12.99

Dragon Dawn is the prequel to the award-winning and best-selling Dragonkeeper trilogy. The series follows the story of the elder dragon Danzi, the hatchling Kai and Ping, the slave girl who becomes their Dragonkeeper. The third book in the series, Dragon Moon, was the 2008 Children’s Book Council of Australia Book of the Year for Younger Readers.

In the prequel, we travel back in time to when Danzi is a youngster, not yet 1,000 years old. Cho-Men, Danzi’s Dragonkeeper, has died and Danzi is preparing to return the old man’s possessions to his family. Danzi has decided he doesn’t want or need another keeper. Humans don’t last very long anyway.

But on the journey he misses the company of his old friend and strikes up a new friendship with Bingwen, a young man earning money in the street with sleight of hand tricks. Danzi doesn’t approve of such trickery but the two are drawn together.

Dragonkeepers are born to specific families and have three key characteristics – they can hear dragon speech in their mind, they have second sight and are left-handed. Bingwen can hear Danzi and he has prophetic dreams. But he is right handed, his left hand crushed as a child. Could he still be a Dragonkeeper?

The book is set in exciting times. The armies of the Qin are marching from the north to besiege the cities of China. Danzi and Bingwen, searching for Cho-men’s village, fly right into the middle of a battle zone.

I highly recommend Dragon Dawn and the entire Dragonkeeper series. It will appeal to boys and girls alike – whether they enjoy fantasy, history or just a good adventure.

9 comments:

Jeffery E Doherty said...

Let me know what you think of 'The Naming of Tishkin Silk' when you finish reading it.

Jeff :)

BookChook said...

I can understand your Zac Power son. I have books on the shelf that I am "saving" because I know I want to savour them. When I go away camping, I like to have several great reads, and WALLOW in them. Come to think of it, I do it with movies too. I have the Mamma Mia dvd waiting and I am saving it to watch a) when I get a big chunk of time, and b) when I need to escape to a wonderful world of song and exhilaration.

Barrie said...

Love the book as a fashion accessory! I have a daughter somewhat like that!

Sandy Fussell said...

Thanks for calling in guys. I carry a book everywhere - even if it's a short trip where there's no hope of reading. You just never know... the car might break down... I might get caught in traffic... the supermarket checkout queue might be huge... Ah wishful thinking.

GOMO said...

HI! I love your books. I'm a new blogger.

Lynn Priestley said...

Hi Sandy - enjoying your blog. I'm with you on the - take a book everywhere - mode of thinking. Same goes for paper and pen. You just never know when opportunity knocks for a glimmer of creative bliss.

Cheers,

Lynn

Anonymous said...

The Naming of Tishkin Silk is a fabulous book (getting sidetracked by Jeff's comment up there)!

Sandy Fussell said...

Thanks Lynne. I know you will understand why yesterday I was excited to find a hard plastic folder to contain pen and paper - with a clip on the front so it doubles as a clipboard. Perfect. Gotta love good stationery!

Sandy Fussell said...

I have only recently discovered the Tiskin Silk trilogy (thanks to Jeff). A wonderful story and such beautiful writing. I can't believe I missed it first time round.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin