Monday, August 27, 2012

National Book Shop Day

I'm over a week behind with this post but it's never too late to celebrate National Bookshop Day. Last Saturday I was invited to Pages and Pages at Mosman to join other children's and YA authors in store.


And what a store! All the wonderful things I had heard were true. Almost like two shops in one - and one whole shop wholly dedicated to book for young readers. There is no brighter, more imaginative enticing world than a book store like this. I arrived early and left late, like the party guest who stays too long, I didn't want to go home. I wanted to keep talking books and making origami bookmarks and samurai with the enthusiastic kids who came in.

It was such a treat to browse the shelves. I miss that. I am often heard bemoaning the fact that I live in the third largest city in NSW and we don' have a bookstore. We have a University, an Art Gallery, a Performing Arts Centre and an Entertainment Centre. The only bookshop is in the Uni, too difficult to drop in to, with no parking nearby. It's certainly not as much fun book shopping on-line.

But on National Book Shop Day ... I arrived home to find an email telling me Dymocks was opening a store in Wollongong again.

What a day! What better way to celebrate bookshops!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin